[TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 14 01:05:53 EST 2016

On Wed,1/13/2016 3:58 PM, Bruce Jungwirth wrote:
> You said it. NEC is concerned with 60 Hz safety, not RF.

Lighting IS RF. It is not a DC event. It is not even a low frequency event.

Yes, NEC is concerned with safety. That includes lightning, electrical
shock, and fire. It is a BUILDING CODE, and it carries the force of LAW
when it is adopted by the local authority having jurisdiction over a
given building. Specifically, it is a set of MINIMUM requirements.

Yes, earth connections are important for lightning protection, but the
most critical element for all of those concerns is BONDING, not the
perfection of earth connections.

As hams, we zero in on antennas as the conductor that brings lightning
into our homes, while in reality, lightning comes in on power lines,
telephone lines, and CATV systems too.

73, Jim K9YC