[TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Tue Jan 19 10:26:01 EST 2016

if you really think you need to expend that much effort to get a good ground start reading with some of this list:  https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=concrete+bentonite+mix+for+grounding

Jan 19, 2016 10:12:56 AM, patrick_g at windstream.net wrote:

Some interesting ideas, thanks. I have a couple 3PH mounted augers
with blades for 6 through 12 inches in diameter and have built an
extension system to be able to drill deeper than the standard of about
40 inches, plus I have a 3PH mounted cement mixer powered by the
tractor's PTO so "drilling" holes and filling them with concrete is not
too inconvenient. what I can't do with my own equipment is auger deeper
than about 6 ft and I have to manually remove the "chips" with "Idiot
Sticks" (manual post hole digger) for the last 2 1/2 feet or so.

I'll be installing a new tower soon and this would be the opportunity to
do this fresh, not a retrofit.

I have a ton or so of bentonite as small granules and wonder if there
would be any advantage to adding some to the concrete. If yes, then how
much? Where should I look for that sort of info?

Glossary:
PTO is Power Take Off
3PH is three point hitch (rear implement mount on a tractor)

I would be please to hear comments regarding this sort of grounding
"enhancement" from the engineering side of the reflector.

Patrick NJ5G