[TowerTalk] ground rods and angle...

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 19 14:11:23 EST 2016

On 1/19/16 9:42 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Tue,1/19/2016 7:10 AM, Chris wrote:
>> Backfill with bentonite or similar conductive earth material.  I know
>> a local installer who puts up broadcast towers who did this and
>> created a ridiculously low resistance ground network on a rock
>> mountaintop.
>
> Yes, but -- it's my understanding that bentonite and similar materials
> must be recharged periodically to be effective.

ionic salts, yes
bentonite, no

the ionic affinity of bentonite is all about it's mechanical and
chemical structure. It's a very, very fine clay with all sorts of
unusual properties.

the bentonite has to have moisture, though.

This is one of the big selling points to bentonite and fly ash: they
don't leach. You don't get into trouble with the NEPA, CEQA compliance,
for instance.