[TowerTalk] field-day mast anchoring question

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Sun Jan 24 10:58:04 EST 2016

Hi Mike,

Kind of getting off the original topic but years ago, on a trip to FP,
the beach there consisted of smooth rocks approximately 2" in diameter.
What we did was to dig a hole about a 12-18 inches deep. Then we lined
the hole with one of those blue heavy duty plastic tarps.  We then
filled the hole back in with the rocks.  We gathered up the edges of the
tarp by passing rope through the eyelets on the corners and connected
this to the rope guys.

We used a home-brew version of the Battle Creek Special for 160-40M and
a 30 ft high mast made from HD military mast sections to hold a
Cushcraft A-3 at about 30 ft.  The anchors never moved at all, even with
60 mph winds.

When we were done we just pulled the tarp out from under the rocks.

Cheap, lightweight, and very secure.  Perfect for air travel.