[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: I think it might be worth investing in a guy wire

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Jan 28 10:36:39 EST 2016

>  Good idea, however, it is specified for a 5/32 max wire  diameter. IIRC
that is less than 3/16 or 1/4" EHS that is used for tower  guys.  Then
the not so small matter it is designed for 1x19 stainless  steel wire
rope, not 1x7 EHS guy wire.

>  A model with 3/16 to 9/32 wire capacity is the Loos 90  Model B, again
for 1x19 sailboat rigging.  With the substantial  flexibility difference
between these rope constructions it will need to be  calibrated with a
dynamometer tension gauge for the EHS being  measured.  Otherwise the
readings are only relative, which is  useful.

    I tested what if any differences there are in  typical guy materials
vs. a Loos gauge. I put some EHS, 7x19 wire rope and  Phillystran (all the
same equivalent) all in series with a calibrated  tensionometer, tensioned it
all to the accepted working tension and then  measured each material with a
Loos. Guess what? They all read the same.

    As you tension a material, it becomes more  rod-like. At the desired
tension they all looked the same to the Loos - a very  handy and reasonably
priced tool.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188