[TowerTalk] Klm 40m-1

Bill Parry bparry at rgv.rr.com
Thu Jan 28 10:59:04 EST 2016

I helped a friend put up a 4 element 40 M KLM. I am sure that the 1 element is just the driven element of that antenna. We did not have any problems with the elements and there wasn't a truss necessary. It made it through several high wind situations before the "weak" boom broke in half. (I think this was the weak point of those antennas but should be of no concern for you. I completely disagree with Jim about the CC XM 240.  I have had that antenna up for a number of years and although theoretically you might improve the XM240 with a modification of the coils, the antenna is almost magic the way it works. There is a problem with the coils and that is they are very touchy. I mine has been through a number of storms in the last 15 years and near lightning strikes will vaporize those coils.  On two occasions I have had to buy new coils and replace the old ones.

Bill W5VX