[TowerTalk] another subject: coax and cables buried or elevated above ground?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 28 14:26:25 EST 2016

On 1/28/16 6:17 AM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
> QST is not peer reviewed.  All kinds of nonsense can make its way
> into print.
>
> The notion of copious condensation in buried conduit has always
> seemed like ham urban legend to me.
>
> First off, there are literally millions of miles of buried electrical
> conduit in the world filled with wire not rated for immersion. The
> failure rate for this infrastructure does not seem to be anything
> exceptional.

I don't know that I'd say that.  I think that a lot of this is just not
publicised, except in notorious cases like dogs and drunks getting
shocks when urinating on a cover that happens to be live because of
moisture providing the conducting path.

It's also true that most wire these days *is* reasonably ok in wet
environments.

 From a personal standpoint, I've pulled wire from conduit in my yard
and it was wet or showed signs of having been wet in the past. And I
live in Southern California, not noted for high water table, high
rainfall, or high humidity. (over sprinkling, sure...)

Did the wet adversely affect the AWG12 THHN/THWN?  not that I can tell.

> More important, condensation requires a constant supply of moist air.
> Where is this supply coming from? Not convection, unless someone
> changed the laws of physics while I wasn't looking. If there really
> is enough air flow from the pressure difference between the ends of
> the conduit sufficient to bring in the required moisture (unlikely),
> then seal the ends. Simple.

Pressure difference can create a surprising amount of flow but air
doesn't carry all that much water.

COnsider a 100 foot long tube 2" in diameter.  That's (3.14/144*100)
about 2 cubic feet.
A pressure difference of 0.5" of mercury out of 30" is a 1/60th change
in the contents of the pipe (by mass or volume), so 2/60ths of a cubic
foot move in or out.

a cu ft of air holds 0.59E-3 pounds of water at 50F (10C) and 1.9E-3
pounds at 86F (30C)

So you could conceivably dump the difference.. about 1.3E-3 pounds of
water per pressure cycle (if outside is 30C and humid). That's about
1/50th of an ounce.

Over a couple months, (assuming a daily cycle) you'd be up to a whole
ounce of water.

I suspect a more likely case for condensation would be where there's a
static pressure differential between the two ends of the conduit (e.g.
one is inside the house and the other isn't).  If your house has
slightly positive pressure, then you're continuously flowing air through
the pipe, and the pipe is almost certain to be colder than your house.

ANother source of continuous flow would be wind.  It's easy to get a
differential pressure of a few inches of water from wind blowing.  (2
feet of water is about 1 psi).  If one end of the conduit is on the high
pressure side of the house and the other is in the lee of a building,
you could be set up to have continuous slow flow.

Either of these could accumulate substantial water.