[TowerTalk] another subject: coax and cables buried or elevated above ground?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Jan 28 15:24:05 EST 2016

My Opinion:

I vote for underground as induced voltages from lightening strikes are
likely to be less.
Most of us use PVC because its cheap and easy to work with. The same
holds true for plastic, thin wall sewer pipe  I no longer glue the
sections together, but lube them with DC-4 or 5 compound and try to
install them in cool, or cold weather, under some compression.  I've had
no problems with water ingress with both ends open (at the tower,
basement, or shop - basement and shop are heated and air conditioned)
Current connections and conduit runs at tower end are shown in
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm.  That sewer pipe
hanging in the air over the trench "was glued".  I've found the NEMA
boxes to be a much more practical method of entry into the basement and
shop.

"I think" steel conduit would be better.  It protects from ground
currents, which can be substantial on rare occasions, BUT it's
expensive, heavy, requires tools to work with, and requires careful
attention to deburing. Threads need to be sealed and protected from
rust.  I don't know of anyone using underground, metal conduit.  I
worked with it a lot in industry, but we had powered benders and access
to a wide variety of shapes from vendors.  It's pretty much schedule 40,
black iron pipe. (Relatively easy to bend if you have the tools.  To say
the manual benders for EMT do not work well with rigid conduit would be
an understatement!   We used it in rather hostile environments (very
hostile), often packed "tight" with wires. So tight we used a LOT of
wire pulling lube/soap and electricians beating on the conduit with
engineers hammers every few feet. Not a problem for hams who only half
fill the conduit for ease of adding or removing cables. OTOH it's not
exactly practical for the individual, or even club projects. "Normally"
the ground in this area is either moist, down right wet, or frozen, so
rust would likely be a problem.
 From a practical approach, rigid conduit is a major PITA to install and
remove.

EMT is lighter and easier to work with. Connectors, splices, and sweep
90s are readily obtainable, but rust can/would be a problem.  I use EMT
in the shop where all wiring (including coax and rotator cable) is in
surface mount EMT, but PVC exclusively outdoors, buried about a foot
down.  Below the frost line would be better  (The ground does freeze
every winter up here), but I lacked the ambition for doing that.  Now
days it is rare for the ground to freeze more than 12 inches deep except
under driveways and sidewalks, but according to local code, I believe
it's still 30 inches, give or take a tad. I'm pretty good at sweeping up
to a couple inches snow off the sidewalk (with one working hand and arm)
between the garage and shop, as long as it's not the wet, heavy kind,
but then I have to get back to pick up my cane.<:-) <sigh>

As there are no coax or cable connections inside the conduit, I no
longer worry about water accumulation and make no provisions for
draining condensation.

73

Roger  (K8RI)