[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Tower buried section legs -- Buried in Concrete orBelow the Concrete?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 29 14:12:06 EST 2016

FYI, Rohn 65 with 4 bolt 5/8" thick flanges on each leg has one 1/4"
weep hole on each leg, at both ends right next to the flange.  The
flanges are drilled to the leg od and welded outside and inside to the
tube before galvanizing.  So there are redundant paths for water to
escape.  My PE specified 1 foot of 3/4 gravel for the legs to be set
into before the 4x4x2' base pad was poured.

I had ten 20' R65 sections regalvanized by Ace Galvanizing here in
Seattle and they did a terrific job.

Having seen a few R25s with burst legs, I think it best to follow the
Rohn instructions.  If the legs below the concrete rust, I wouldn't be
concerned as they serve no structural purpose.  Once the leg is into the
concrete enough to be inside the rebar cage, say a foot or so, more leg
in the concrete below that probably doesn't have much structural
contribution.

If the ground is corrosive enough to be a big concern then the
galvanized guy anchors need good protection all along where they are in
contact with the earth.  For peace of mind I used heavy asphalt paint
for full coverage and then 50% overlap 20mil pipe tape for protection
from the backfill (same tape as often required on buried black iron gas
lines) to 1 foot above grade.

Grant KZ1W