[TowerTalk] 80M 4 Square Array Material options

EZ Rhino EZRhino at fastmovers.biz
Fri Jan 29 19:31:54 EST 2016

>>Has anyone ever heard a credible story about a 4 square made of irrigation pipe that failed?
>>Patrick        NJ5G

YES!!  firsthand...

W7HPW's original four square of 3" (or was it 4"?  can't remember) irrigation pipe came down about six months after it went up.  All four of them.  They got some kind of a resonsance/vibration going during a storm and it fractured the tubing part way up.  I think they were guyed at two levels.  I know people use this stuff to do four squares; I know it's cheap, light, and easy to work with.  Some may have better luck than others.  But is it certainly the wrong material to use for something like this.

He replaced them with some verticals that Zero-Five put together, very well made, thick wall tubing at the base with a nice taper to the top.

If I had the land to do a foursquare, I'd use F12 Sigma vertical dipoles.  No ground wires to lay down!

Chris
KF7P