[TowerTalk] 116 Tower-Related Deaths Analyzed State by State

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Jul 2 02:29:29 EDT 2016

OK, I answered this once, but had computer problems and it was totally
lost.  It may, or may not show up. As I'm going from memory, I hope they
are close:

A couple points on those shares that apply to Ham Radio:
Net Neutrality (NN) and the Digital Divide (DD). Neither are what they seem.

My Background: My Degree is a BS in Computer Science, not programming
(CIS), with minors in Math and Art, plus work toward a Masters before a
good job got in the way<:-).
I retired as a Computer Systems Project Manager after being a System
Administrator and a Developmental Analyst (fancy name for programmer) at
the corporate level for a large multinational corporation..  I needed to
keep track of the potential for Net Neutrality (a wolf in sheep's
clothing) as well as the so called digital divide for potential costs.

We like to think of Amateur Radio as being Apolitical, but we could
easily find ourselves at odds with regulations at the local, state, or
federal level.  The ARRL could be prevented from notifying us of
potential hostile bills at the state or local level.

NN is supposedly going to prevent preferential service to those who pay
more, or tiered service. Tiered service has existed since I've had my
own domain in 1996.  It's worked well with only a couple of abuses.   I
currently have a 100 Mbs Internet connection with unlimited band width.
I often see between 130 and 140 Mbs. Yes, I pay a premium and no, it's
not advertised.  They do not have the capacity to openly offer that
speed.  NN also gives ISPs permission ( a mandate to do it) to make sure
political speech presents both sides evenly.  IOW, criticizing the FCC,
FAA (tower height, near and far from airports)  IOW it adds regulation
to preventing certain "free speech" on regulations, bills up for
consideration, candidates, politicians, groups, etc, etc, etc... IOW,
what ever administration is in power NN rules what you can say on the
Internet.

The Digital Divide (DD) usually refers to the % of a country on high
speed Internet.  Of course the countries we are compared to are small,
with high population densities, while outside the major metropolitan
areas the US is nothing but miles and miles, of nothing but miles and
miles making the comparisons ridiculous. To reach the same % penetration
in the US would cost many times the cost per user in these other
countries, which BTW do not have free speech on or off the Internet.  So
who pays for this?  NN and everyone pays the same as I do, or everyone
gets the same speed as I do, for what they pay now?

Both NN and DD would raise the cost per uses  twice if not three times
or more.  Of course they could add it to the taxes as many countries do.

Beware of any one pushing for either or both as they do not understand
the ramifications of these, or is lying with something to gain.
Any politician probably has a lot to gain besides votes. The average,
no... most, people not in the profession and a few in it, do not
understand what these two could do and the potential for abuse.   Of
course, if caught lying, they can blame it on being supplied with false
information.

73

Roger (K8RI)