[TowerTalk] Can type 31 cores be cut in half ?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 5 09:58:31 EDT 2016

Yes it is possible with a diamond saw in a surface grinder. However, it
is very messy and and the dust/slurry is very abrasive so the grinder
owner may say "no way".   We machined a lot of ferrite many years ago
for recording heads and pretty quickly the grinders were trashed.

You need very flat and smooth mating surfaces (see a big clamp on) as
this mating changes the magnetic properties of the core by inserting an
air gap.  Obvious it can be made to work since #31 clamp ons are very
effective if kept tightly closed.  A tungsten carbide blade will cut
ferrite in your bandsaw but I think the cut will be so rough as to be
useless. A diamond blade in a cut off saw may work if it last long
enough without water cooling.

I think you need a bigger NEMA enclosure as any of these techniques will
cost a lot more with probably poor results.

Grant KZ1W