[TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 13:42:34 EDT 2016

On 7/5/16 9:23 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Tue,7/5/2016 7:34 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
>> IF your sloping  half wave dipole is  UN balanced...then why insert a
>> CMC  at the feed point at all ??
>> I would dump the CMC at the feedpoint, then perhaps  use a CMC  way
>> downstream , like just
>> before the coax meets the tower..or at the base of the tower..or both.
>
> Nope! The first choke should ALWAYS be at the feedpoint. Additional
> chokes farther down the line can be used to prevent current induced on
> the feedline from causing grief in the shack (like with your rack full
> of un-necessary audio processing gear). :)

I can conceive of situations where putting the choke somewhere down the
line might be ok or desirable (from a mechanical standpoint).  Maybe not
realistic or practical situations.  But if you had a 40 m sloping dipole
that's 20 m long, and your choke were at, say, 2 meters, and the coax
from dipole to choke were at right angles to the antenna, I think it
would work just about as well.

On the other hand, and getting to the "practical" aspect putting it  at
he feedpoint, the mass is better supported by the antenna itself.