[TowerTalk] re AES SK

Lee L at w0vt.us
Wed Jul 6 21:21:41 EDT 2016

I took my Novice test the same day Terry Sterman took his at the
Milwaukee Court House back in 1953.  We were both very young teenagers.
Terry became WN9DIA and I became WN9DRC.  Terry started his ham business
on a card table in the back of his fathers appliance store in Fon du
Lac, Wisconsin.  I bought a new Hallicrafters SX-96 from him in 1956
before he had a store of his own.  When he opened his store at his first
address in Milwaukee, he made Steve Puddyandy (sp?),  his store
manager.  Steve's call was W9EAN.  He was a great guy.  Ray Granier
(sp?) became his long time Service Manager.  Ray headed the service
department for many years.  Terry also hired W9NHE (nice hot eggs) and
he had a passion for printing.  So Terry made Ted Willett (sp?) his
printing manager and they printed QSL cards and then branched out into
commercial printing.  Later Terry upgraded his color printing presses
and donated his old color printing equipment to The ARRL. That is how
The ARRL got into printing QST into color..  Terry became very
successful and I have many memories of him and the Fon du Lac yearly
banquet he and I attended along with many other hams from Wisconsin.
There is much more I could say but some things are best not told.
Terry's life ended in a very sad way.  His business was carried on for
many years with other family members. Terry dated on and off his
girlfriend, Ellen.  She was the gal holding up the QSL card clear
plastic holders he sold in his store.  Years later they married after
both went through other marriagies.

Lee Bahr, w0vt