[TowerTalk] AES SK

Chris Hoelzle choelzle at cox.net
Fri Jul 8 14:05:07 EDT 2016

Ham radio stores going out of business or changing their model is not
something new.
My Father K6PMC owned Kitron Radio in Pomona, CA. Starting in 1957 he was a
proud retailer for Hammarlund and Hallicrafters radios. He was hard working
and kind to all the hams that would come in.
He would spend three or four hours with a ham comparing and contrasting the
features of each radio. None of these radios were cheap. He sold a few of
them, but unfortunately, most of the hams would reward his help by driving
40 miles to a competitor where they could buy the radio for $20 or $30
cheaper.
In the later years, my dad would lament about the fact that so many hams
were just cheap. What a shame.

Moral of the story - If you get good customer service from a brick and
mortar shop - Please - reward them with a sale instead of using the internet
and trying to make finding the cheapest price into a blood sport.

I miss my local Radio Shack - I am sure there are a lot of hams that liked
AES.

It is up to us to reward retailers for their commitment to us.

NN6CH
Chris Hoelzle
choelzle at cox.net
Laguna Niguel, CA