[TowerTalk] Routing Coax and Control Lines

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 9 17:27:07 EDT 2016

I'd caution that "new" generation Heliax is very fragile.  LDF4, FSJ4,
LDF5 all had much heavier copper shields.  I had to buy some AVA5 after
my LDF5 ran out and it is an entirely different animal. It is very easy
to kink and flatten and it is tough to clean the foam without damage to
the shield.  It was mentioned here that one cell installer won't even
accept an AVA reel on its side because damage is very likely.

Also, for aerial suspension, falling branches or ice from antennas or
tower will likely put a significant dent in AVA.  The commercial design
is an "ice bridge" cover above the suspended Heliax which could be solid
or perforated/woven/expanded galvanized steel.

Grant KZ1W