[TowerTalk] AES SK

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jul 11 17:42:14 EDT 2016

On Mon,7/11/2016 11:57 AM, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
> Maybe it is time for the thread to die but I think it has been pretty
> interesting from the standpoint of the numerous real-world experiences
> several of the guys have related.

Yes, it has been quite interesting. One thing I'd like to point out is
that certain regulations imposed by federal and local governments are
there to protect local residents from abuse by businessmen. I was born
and raised in WV, my mom was born in coal country in KY and lived all
her life there, my grandfather was born and raised in coal country in
MD, got an EE from Pratt Institute, and spent all of his working life as
an EE in the mines in WV and KY.

Those coal companies badly abused the people who worked for them in the
form of truly awful and unsafe working conditions, and the people who
lived there by destroying the beautiful mountains, and destroyed streams
by discharging poisonous byproducts of their operations into those
streams. I've read of similar abuses by the mining of coal, gold,
silver, copper, and other minerals in the Rockies. We all know about the
poisoning of the air by the failure to reasonably treat combustion
byproducts.

The abuses of these companies, while increasing their profits, do so at
the expense of the people who live there, the insurance companies and
governments who pay for medical care for those who are sickened by the
abuse. And as citizens, we all pay for the abuse in the form of higher
taxes and/or higher insurance premiums.

So SOME regulations are VERY necessary. Certainly regulation of those
bankers and Wall Street tycoons that caused millions to lose their homes
and life saving is necessary.

FWIW, California, where I've lived for 10 years, is well known for
pretty tough environmental regulations, but it hasn't hurt the economy
here at all. California has a very solid economy, and recovered from the
2008 financial crisis much sooner than most of the rest of the country.

These are not (or at least should not be) partisan political issues,
they are HUMAN issues.

73, Jim K9YC