[TowerTalk] Something new in the air...

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Jul 14 14:03:18 EDT 2016

I'm here to confirm everything that Gary just said.  I would often
listen to Gary (who lived maybe 30 miles from me at the time) work VK/ZL
one after another, giving them S9+20 reports while I couldn't hear them
at all .... and I have a K3 at a very quiet location.  On the other
hand, I've been in major contests where I was able to work Europe a full
hour before anyone else west of Texas.  As Gary says, the difference
between a huge antenna and a simple one is a very few db, whereas the
difference created by terrain or propagation can be several tens of db.

The HFTA plots of my QTH at http://www.ab7e.com/HFTA/AB7E_HFTA.html tell
the tale.  The dark blue lines represent Europe, while the light green
ones represent Oceania (aka my dummy load).  It's amazing what a primary
lobe less than 2 degrees can do ....

73,

Dave AB7E