[TowerTalk] HFTA disc....

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 15 14:49:45 EDT 2016

On 7/15/16 11:18 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
> I was wondering if HFTA would be
> of use if one had Vertical Antennas.
>
>> What I'd really like to see is a program like HFTA for vertically
>> polarized antennas. When I suggested it to Dean several years ago, he told
>> me that Parkinson's had begun some deterioration, so that he no longer felt
>> able to work at the needed level of detail. I've suggested that project to
>> another engineer with the math and antenna chops to do it. We'll see.

The calculations for vertical polarization are much tougher to
implement.  For H-pol, you can make the "soil is a nearly perfect
reflector with 180 degree phase shift" assumption. For vertical pol, you
can't.

The other thing is that for V-pol, the soil properties (resistivity,
permittivity) have a larger effect.