[TowerTalk] New FAA regulations affecting towers

Don W7WLL w7wll at arrl.net
Sat Jul 16 19:22:22 EDT 2016

Tempest in a teapotl. If you live in a house on with towers nearby that are
from 50 to 200 feet it is reasonable that you are in a developed area by
most zoning standards. A question might exist if your tower is on acreage
deemed or considered 'undeveloped' under local zoning regulations. I'd bet
99.9 % of us are still only subject to the existing marking and height
requirements relative to your proximity to any airports. Unlikely my garden
will be considered as used for agricultural purposes. Here is a cut of the
area of concern in that laws.

Don W7WLL

"The term “covered tower” means a structure that—
(I)is self-standing or supported by guy wires and ground anchors;

(II)is 10 feet or less in diameter at the above-ground base, excluding
concrete footing;

(III)at the highest point of the structure is at least 50 feet above ground
level;

(IV)at the highest point of the structure is not more than 200 feet above
ground level;

(V)has accessory facilities on which an antenna, sensor, camera,
meteorological instrument, or other equipment is mounted; and

(VI)is located—
(aa)outside the boundaries of an incorporated city or town; or

(bb)on land that is—
(AA)undeveloped; or

(BB)used for agricultural purposes.

(ii)Exclusions.—
The term “covered tower” does not include any structure that—
(I)is adjacent to a house, barn, electric utility station, or other
building;

(II)is within the curtilage of a farmstead;

(III)supports electric utility transmission or distribution lines;

(IV)is a wind-powered electrical generator with a rotor blade radius that
exceeds 6 feet; or

(V)is a street light erected or maintained by a Federal, State, local, or
tribal entity.

(B)Undeveloped.—

The term “undeveloped” means a defined geographic area where the
Administrator determines low-flying aircraft are operated on a routine
basis, such as low-lying forested areas with predominant tree cover under
200 feet and pasture and range land."