[TowerTalk] Fwd: New FAA regulations affecting towers

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Sat Jul 16 22:23:54 EDT 2016

Well, the regulation says:

SEC. 2110. TOWER MARKING.
    (a) In General.--Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment
of this Act, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
shall issue regulations to require the marking of covered towers.
    (b) Marking Required.--The regulations under subsection (a) shall
require that a covered tower be clearly marked in a manner that is
consistent with applicable guidance under the Federal Aviation
Administration Advisory Circular issued December 4, 2015 (AC 70/7460-
1L), or other relevant safety guidance, as determined by the
Administrator.
    (c) Application.--The regulations issued under subsection (a) shall
ensure that--
        (1) all covered towers constructed on or after the date on
    which such regulations take effect are marked in accordance with
    subsection (b); and
        (2) a covered tower constructed before the date on which such
    regulations take effect is marked in accordance with subsection (b)
    not later than 1 year after such effective date.
    (d) Definitions.--
        (1) In general.--In this section, the following definitions
    apply:
            (A) Covered tower.--
                (i) In general.--The term ``covered tower'' means a
            structure that--

                    (I) is self-standing or supported by guy wires and
                ground anchors;
                    (II) is 10 feet or less in diameter at the above-
                ground base, excluding concrete footing;
                    (III) at the highest point of the structure is at
                least 50 feet above ground level;
                    (IV) at the highest point of the structure is not
                more than 200 feet above ground level;
                    (V) has accessory facilities on which an antenna,
                sensor, camera, meteorological instrument, or other
                equipment is mounted; and
                    (VI) is located--

                        (aa) outside the boundaries of an incorporated
                    city or town; or
                        (bb) on land that is--
                            (AA) undeveloped; or
                            (BB) used for agricultural purposes.
                (ii) Exclusions.--The term ``covered tower'' does not
            include any structure that--

                    (I) is adjacent to a house, barn, electric utility
                station, or other building;
                    (II) is within the curtilage of a farmstead;
                    (III) supports electric utility transmission or
                distribution lines;
                    (IV) is a wind-powered electrical generator with a
                rotor blade radius that exceeds 6 feet; or
                    (V) is a street light erected or maintained by a
                Federal, State, local, or tribal entity.

            (B) Undeveloped.--The term ``undeveloped'' means a defined
        geographic area where the Administrator determines low-flying
        aircraft are operated on a routine basis, such as low-lying
        forested areas with predominant tree cover under 200 feet and
        pasture and range land.
        (2) Other definitions.--The Administrator shall define such
    other terms as may be necessary to carry out this section.
    (e) Database.--The Administrator shall--
        (1) develop a database that contains the location and height of
    each covered tower;
        (2) keep the database current to the extent practicable;
        (3) ensure that any proprietary information in the database is
    protected from disclosure in accordance with law; and
        (4) ensure that, by virtue of accessing the database, users
    agree and acknowledge that information in the database--
            (A) may only be used for aviation safety purposes; and
            (B) may not be disclosed for purposes other than aviation
        safety, regardless of whether or not the information is marked
        or labeled as proprietary or with a similar designation.

Reading it you find that towers that are:

(ii) Exclusions.--The term ``covered tower'' does not
            include any structure that--

                    (I) is adjacent to a house, barn, electric utility
                station, or other building;
                    (II) is within the curtilage of a farmstead;

I think most of us are safe. Just wonder how far from the house it can be and still is considered "adjacent".