[TowerTalk] New FAA regulations affecting towers

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Sun Jul 17 22:59:39 EDT 2016

Waaay back in the early 50s when I was just getting started there was a Ham in central Kansas whose job was keeping oil wells pumping.  He and his wife lived in a very small house right in the middle of a batch of those 90 ft derricks that we all think of when we think of Texas oil.  Anyway, he had a long length of wire running from his 'mud room' to one of the towers, then to another, etc for maybe 5 or 6 towers and back to the shack. The towers were probably 800 ft spaced.   Fed with a open balanced tuner.  I'm not sure what bands he was on, but he could work DX!!!!!!  RF's got to go somewhere!

So wondering how a long wire antenna fits into the regulation?  His would have be a very invisible airplane catcher.

N0UU