[TowerTalk] Lockwasher Comparison

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 27 22:15:38 EDT 2016

It's generally true that Loctite works, but some cautions.  Most Loctite
sets when deprived of oxygen and exposed to iron, although there are
versions for other metals but not likely found at your hardware store.
Their little bottles are oxygen permeable.  I learned this at a Loctite
seminar, go if you can find one.

Surfaces need to be clean, the opposite of what is desirable for
structural fasteners that should be lubricated.  A325 5/8" hot dip
galvanized structural bolts I've bought for Rohn 65 tower leg flanges
have had a blue wax coating.  So they are "1 for 3" (no O2 is ok, no
exposed Fe not ok, not clean not ok) re using Loctite. Hence these bolts
got NordLocks.  Thru leg bolts in shear such as R25/45  don't have the
axial stress cycling of flange leg towers, so most any nut that doesn't
fall off is fine.

If there is a question about Loctite setting up, apply the Activator
before assembly.  All grades are in my shop and used.

Another place I use Nordlocks is for rotator base bolts.  Since aluminum
has about 2x the expansion per degree F as steel (alloys and temper make
big differences), there is temperature cycling of the bolt load.  It is
also the case that I don't want to mess with Loctited bolts when on the
tower, but with the cautions, it works. Used rotators I've bought always
seem to have roughed up base threads, and a Helicoil insert is the
ultimate fix, since they are stronger than the raw aluminum threads.

Nylocks everywhere else.

Grant KZ1W