[TowerTalk] Fwd: Lockwasher Comparison

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jul 29 11:12:30 EDT 2016

I agree.  Over the years, ROHN has tried several approaches and I've
tried a few. I even used SS and wished I hadn't. Even with Never Seize
after many years, I've had them become one on occasion.

Galvanized bolts are ungraded AFAIK but you don't need grade 8, or even
grade 5 in shear. Double galvanized, ungraded are fine and the nuts do
come off only when needed. Never forget to use a taper pin punch to
enlarge the bolt holes to a snug fit if needed. Never thread the bolts
through the hole in the tower leg and never drill them out! (ROHN's
instructions)

I've never needed a lubricant, or Never Seize with ROHN nuts and bolts.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 7/29/2016 Friday 8:12 AM, StellarCAT wrote:
> I can't stand the new dimpled nuts that Rohn has gone to on towers. I
> sent them back and found a place to get the older ones with standard
> nuts. I've never ever had a nut come off of a Rohn tower leg
> (horizontal bolt as used in G series). ALL of the load is vertical.
> There's no reason for the nuts to ever come off. Also there is enough
> galvanizing on their bolts that even the standard nuts take a bit of
> force to install. On the new ones I literally could not get the nut on
> one of the bolts - it went about 1/2 way and froze - not even a very
> large wrench would do it. The other 5 were all VERY difficult. That to
> me is an example of over-reacting to someone's failure to install the
> proper hardware.
>
> As for the guy that had one fall out - I'd guess he wasn't using Rohn
> galvanized bolts and nuts or they were used and re-used. New ones have
> plenty of galvanizing to keep the nut in place when tightened
> sufficiently to the leg.
>
> Gary
> K9RX

---