[TowerTalk] 6-meter antenna height

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Jul 31 01:50:04 EDT 2016

FD operation got me to thinking about this.

On HF (depending on band conditions) there is a statistically preferred
height for the distance to be worked.

On VHF particularly 6-meters where long haul is Sporadic E, Tropo,
occasionally F, or Aurora.

Local work is usually the higher the better. I've normally had the 7L
C3i (boom just a few inches short of 30 feet) at 115 feet and excellent
results for single and double hop Sporadic E as well a F and Au.

Keeping in mind that the ideal height for HF is statistically derived,
where is the point (frequency) where we should typically be switching
over from the way we figure HF antenna height to the higher the better?
The FD station had their 6-meter antenna height calculated the same way
we usually figure HF antenna height, meaning, I could about jump high
enough to touch the antenna. That is, if I could still jump.  They were
shooting through the trees.

A typical 6-meter antenna would have a "bunch" of lobes between the
horizon and vertical

Roger (K8RI)

---