[TowerTalk] Modeling question - for the experts!

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Thu Jun 2 20:07:20 EDT 2016

Thanks Jim.... re the factors you mention: the antenna is 34' away, about
2/3 wave at 15 meters so quite close enough and an oft used stacking
distance, it is in the same plane as the 15 ... and re the feedline - yes -
I agree with that - but there are three other elements on that antenna
involved!

What I did to try to see if it would have an effect is this. I made the
assumption that the linear loading wires would 'breakup' the element as it
would probably have a complex impedance on 15 meters - thus divorcing the
rest of the elements - just an assumption but for starters I think a
reasonable one.

The distance to this connection, unfortunately is almost a 1/4 wave on 15!
Optibeam uses a much closer spacing to their reactive component (their coil)
... likewise F12 on their "N" series... but the M2 is set at just under 1/4
wave.

SO I modeled first a 15 meter dipole .... and placed that above the 15 yagi.
If this dipole is shifted rearward it has little effect ... but if I do 4 15
meter dipoles - all equal length (since the distance to the LL is the same
on all three) and spaced along as they would be on the 40 boom and place
this at various heights above the 15 yagi It has quite significant
interaction. I don't remember the specifics at this time - I had written a
blurb up about it some while ago... but even at 34' there is some
measureable interaction ... when I modeled it with the sleeve idea I had
(Greg Ordy said it is probably more properly called a sleeve and not a stub
as I had earlier referred to it) the interaction completely disappears and
one can move the antennas as close as 8'.

[I do have an 80/75 rotary dipole on the top of this tower - but it is
turned 90 degrees]

Gary