[TowerTalk] Shipping XM-240

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 12:24:39 EDT 2016

On 6/6/16 8:53 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> On 6/6/2016 7:05 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
>> Look for S&D PVC pipe.  S&D is sewer and drain pipe and is much lighter
>> so cheaper to ship. Most big box stores have it at least 4 inches in
>> diameter.
>>
>> Patrick        NJ5G
>>

> In California, they don't use PVC drain pipe in construction;
> it's all ABS.  Retail big box stores don't sell PVC S&D.
> They don't even sell 3 and 4 inch schedule 40 any more.
> I only know PVC S&D exists because I have a habit of visiting
> hardware stores when I am traveling, just to see what
> they might have that is different from my local stores.
> (Yes, I know that's weird :-)
>
> What you can get in CA is PVC irrigation (sprinkler)
> pipe in either "classes" like class 125 or in SDR
> (standard dimension ratio).  Right here in Galt
> (of all places) you can get it at Galt Pipe.  They
> go up as high as 12 inches.  Elsewhere,
> the Horizon Irrigation chain is a good source.

One of the big producers of such pipe is in California: Pacific Plastics
(http://www.pacificplasticsinc.com/)

You can get bigger sizes as plastic sewer pipe, which is PVC (SDR35 or
SDR26) up to 15" diameter, and PS46 or PS115 up to 36"

The larger sizes (>8") are usually only available in "gasketed" not
solvent weld and is typically green.  The solvent weld kind is white.

THe "drain" stuff is 0.1" wall thickness for 6" diameter.  The SDR is a
lot thicker wall (6" is 0.180)

I've not seen big DWV (drain, waste, vent) which is almost always black ABS.

However, they do have much larger corrugated wall drain line (not at
Pacific Plastics, though)..  This is dual wall polyethylene for
culverts..  Moderately expensive: $200 for a 20 foot length of 12"

If I were shipping that antenna, though, I'd go with a suitable
cardboard box.  You can get large sheets of pretty rugged cardboard that
can be scored and assembled into a long skinny box, if you can't find it
off the shelf.  Check companies like U-line.

A quick glance at the Uline website shows 5 foot long boxes in various
sizes like 8x8 and 12x12 inches that you could combine.  Somewhere else
they probably have longer boxes.  And after going to that website,
google helpfully tells me that Staples has such boxes too.