[TowerTalk] Modeling antenna traps

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Jun 6 20:57:34 EDT 2016

Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 12:58:01 -0500
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer at largeriver.net>
To: "'Timothy Holmes'" <taholmes160 at gmail.com>,
<towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling antenna traps

I don't think that you will have much luck with the MFJ used as a grid dip
meter. You will need a decent grid dip meter.

73
Gary  K4FMX

##  I have never been able to grid dip anything with either my 259 or  259B.
That was using both optional grid dip  coils.  I tried every simple circuit you could think of
just to test that feature.   Like a simple cap and coil in parallel.  Even tried different cap + coil combos to no avail.
Series, parallel,   you name it, didn’t work.   Finally threw in the towel.
Even  W8JI sez they don’t work  Dunno why they sell the pair of optional grid dip coils.   Nobody
else here in town had any luck  either.  Only thing that works is a real grid dip meter.

Jim  VE7RF