[TowerTalk] Reusing guy lines ...

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Jun 13 18:27:11 EDT 2016

Big Grips come with a warning not to reuse them.  You can remove them
and reuse the within a short time, if they have just been installed, but
after a day or two removing them removes much of the sand like gripping
material. That reduces their ability to grip compared to the original
installation.

It's up to the individual, but I'd never reuse them, nor would I trust
one that had been used before.  I'll take the company's word on safety
as would my insurance co.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 6/13/2016 Monday 7:09 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> Decades ago Phillystran used cable clamps on 6700 and smaller but not
> 11200.  Early HPTG 11200I that I bought had factory installer spelter
> sockets. You can still order it this way or use Big Grips, at least on
> newer Phillystran.  I would not use cable clamps with this product.  If I
> installed the Big Grip I would not hesitate to reuse it.
>
> John KK9A
>

> To:	"tower" <towertalk at contesting.com>
> Subject:	[TowerTalk] Reusing guy lines ...
> From:	"StellarCAT" <rxdesign at ssvecnet.com>
> Date:	Sat, 11 Jun 2016 12:57:05 -0400
>

> I bought 120’ of R55 used ... it came with 2 sets of guys – both 5/16” ...
> all
> preassembled using 1/2” thimbles and big grips at one end and 1/2”
> thimbles and
> clamps at the other ... Their individual lengths are too short for my one top
> guy use (1/2 of the guy is philly 11200#, 1/2 using 5/16” EHS) ... but if I
> remove the 3 saddle clamps on one end only I can ‘couple’ the two together
> (using thimble to thimble) and then use a new big grip at the
> ground/turnbuckle
> end...

---