[TowerTalk] Reusing guy lines

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 13 22:26:58 EDT 2016

Might work.  Might fail.  Who knows when it will be so far off the
manufacturers recommendations?

Do you have a tension test stand to try this out?  Or rent a half hour
at a test stand facility to measure the failure tension of 2 or 3
samples.  Then you will have some data.

Otherwise, guy grips not removed are guy ends that are fine to re-use,
so with those as one end, use wire clamps on the other end of the EHS piece.

I went through a long and thorough project to re-use 1800' of 25k# old
style Phillystran.  My Spelter socket termination was proven on my own
10k# capacity test stand and then on a 100k# commercial one. My
termination proved as strong as the other 25k# rated components. (see
Nov/Dec 2014 NCJ for an article I wrote about this)

Would I do it again? NO!  The time invested was excessive, and the cost
savings in the end was small, even though it was an entertaining and
educational engineering/science project.  Use new guy grips, they are
cheap, reliable and far superior to wire clamps.

Grant KZ1W