[TowerTalk] Sad news N5IA SK in tower fall

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 14 11:13:04 EDT 2016

Very sad to hear.  I didn't know Milt but those that did sure describe a
great person.

A 70+ year old free climber that has been doing it for decades and as solid
a person as Milt is described, had fully processed and come to peace with
what balance of safety, speed, and convenience he was deciding, in my
opinion.

At 54, and having climbed for almost 40 years (first as a 16 year old free
climber with the old leather lineman's belts), I know that balance well.  I
personally free climb to the first set of guys (usually 25 - 35 feet
depending on the tower) unless the weather is VERY cold (fear of stiff
hands) and then "clip in" as I go after that.  But I don't use dual clips.
Just am not climbing while unclipped above that height.  I am always clipped
in as I stop and work, at any height.  Is it the utmost in safety?  No, but
it does prevent me from moving while unclipped at dangerous heights.  If I
were to lose a grip while climbing, I am belted in.

We all know these choices.  If this tragic accident causes you to change
your mind, great.  It needed to be changed.  If you are truly at peace with
what you are doing and why, then it shouldn't matter.

I can think of A LOT worse ways to go than falling to my death, doing what I
loved, at 70+.

Rest in peace Milt.

73

Ed  N1UR