[TowerTalk] Fwd: OWAs or Fans?

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 10:26:16 EDT 2016

Open wire feeders are simple to use if you know to address a few things. They have a RF field around them so you have to "keep the distant". They usually have a common mode current as they frequently feed an unbalanced antenna.

In  my case, my favourite antenna is a Windom. It is about 200 (maybe 240, don't remember. Getting old.) feet long and feed at approximately 1/3 from the end. That leaves a lot of CM current. I use a tuner and wide band choke (my designs) in the shack right at the point there the feeder enter the shack. The antenna is used on all bands, 160 - 10 meter. I know it has a "wild" radiation pattern but that gives the thrill of operation.

The big difference between open and closed (coax) feed line is that you have to have a low SWR in the closed as you otherwise will lose too much power due to repeated reflexions in the cable. The open feed allows you to work with almost infinite SWR (1/10 is about infinite. The feed point on the longwire can reach 5000 ohm and the feeder has a Zo of about 500 ohms) but you still have a lot of power left on the antenna.

Yes, I know this is the lazy man's antenna as you only have to put it up once, not take it down for tuning over and over again.

Just wonder what the radiation pattern is for my antenna at the different band. Anybody can tell?

With best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS