[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: OWAs or Fans?

Edward McCann edwmccann at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 00:31:58 EDT 2016

Hans:

Your initial inquiry asked about CM choke for open (and ladder line, I presume) feeder.

I passed on K9YC's counsel on the topic.

Your latest message has me a bit confused:

"I have a setup with the tuner isolated from ground and a CCM chock made of 50' of coax wound around a 4" PVC pipe. The chock is fairly wide band by NOT having an even pitch on the winding. The choke insure that there is no CM current entering the shack."

So, for clarity:

1. What antenna is in the air?
2. Is it fed with open wire feedline?
3. Where is your CM choke in the line?
4. From antenna, at you CM Choke,  do you connect one side of open wire to coax center conductor and other to ground?
5. Coming out of CM Choke, are you back to open wire feedline to tuner?
6. Is this open feedline hooked into balanced terminals of tuner?
7. Antenna side seems isolated from ground at tuner. But what about output side of tuner? Now coax, right, and transceiver chassis ( and therefore shield of coax) is now grounded. It is this not the case?

PS-what tuner are you using?

Thanks for clarification on this most interesting topic, i.e. A CM Choke for open feeder.

73,
Ed McCann
AG6CX

Are you using an open wire feed?