[TowerTalk] Tower Incidents

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 21 20:05:17 EDT 2016

Probably it was the stainless alloy that was used.  Sailboat standing
rigging can last 10 years, sitting 4 ft from salt water, and it is under
a lot of tension.

Yes, the oxygen deprivation is a problem with many SS alloys. 316 is the
most resistant 300 series alloy.  Nitronic 50, used for rod rigging is
very resistant but a bit pricey.  Keel bolts thru fiberglass hulls into
lead keels were falling off due to this problem until builders switched
to 316L or monel.  I believe there is a bronze alloy that is stronger
than 300 series stainless and completely free of the problem, but have
forgotten the name.

see http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Stainless-Steel-Rigging

Grant KZ1W