[TowerTalk] Radial question

Doug Turnbull turnbull at net1.ie
Tue Mar 1 05:18:35 EST 2016

Rick,
   What you are saying is correct a short vertical requires a lower ground
resistance for optimal performance and thus a more extensive number of long
radials.   Otherwise there is further compromise.    I think the confusion
may be that if one only has a small number of ground radials say sixteen
then the optimal electrical length is only 0.1 electrical wavelength while
if one has 120 radials the length increases to 0.4 electrical wavelength.
This is the electrical wavelength though and not the physical length of the
radials.   The proximity of soil changes the velocity factor so that in fact
the radials are considerable shorter.   Say 110 feet for 120 ground mounted
radials.   The absolute length is dependent on the characteristics of your
soil.    This is not so terribly critical though so if one uses 100 to 130
feet lengths with 120 radials then there is less than say 0.5 dB in it.
Now please do not hold my feet to the fire.   Read the K9YC article it is
good.

     Also as previously stated it is not necessary that all radials be the
same length.   For many this is not possible.   Compromise is called for
with some degradation in performance.

      I am also learning and open to correction.   The forum in a learning
experience and in trying to state ones understanding it is possible to learn
and sometimes this comes about by correction.
               73 Doug EI2CN