[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Pseudo-Brewster Angle

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 18:18:28 EST 2016

 Gene,

Try en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster's_angle . You find a rather complex explanation there.

An easy explanation is that the Brewster angle is about 56 degree for glass with a refraction index of about 1.5. The angle increases closer to 85 degree for water with the refraction index (I believe) 9. The index varies in soil due to variations in water content etc. The index varies also in there is magnetic material in the soil which make rather hard to predict exactly where a vertical polarized radio wave will be absorbed.

It is commonly known that if you place your vertical antenna in water (like on a boat) or in swamp area your signal will come out strong.

Now, how will the Fresnel zone interfere with this?

Hans - N2JFS