[TowerTalk] Radial question

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Thu Mar 3 12:56:14 EST 2016

Hi Jim,

Further to your tutorial, particularly the reference to inductance at a current peak, I note with interest a reference I remember from the manual for my old HF6V (the OP’s antenna is the HF2V, IIRC): in it, Butternut claimed the lumped inductance at the base of the antenna was not “base loading”.

But if a lumped inductance at the base of an antenna isn’t base loading, what is it?

Walks like a duck…?

My HF6V worked as expected for a vertical on 40 and up. On 80, I’d have had as much luck setting a dummy load in its place. I always got the impression the problem on 80 was the inductance was compressing the current peak to between the feedpoint and the coil and any radiation was primarily into the fence, shed and trees, rather than into the ether.

I also wonder if the OP’s story about getting perfect SWR but creating a cloud-warmer speaks somewhat to your assertion about sacrificing performance at the altar of SWR… (Or, in your words, SWR is not an indicator of performance.)

73, kelly, ve4xt