[TowerTalk] Radial question

Jon Suehiro nn5t at attglobal.net
Fri Mar 4 00:56:15 EST 2016

Thanks for many inputs.

During the contest, I am running 100Watts.

In my area, most homes are subscribing AT&T U-verse. Initially I was
resetting my U-verse modem when TX on low bands even with 50Watts.

After shielding AT&T vDSL CAT5 cable, I was able to stop my modem resetting
at 500Watts, but the fix is marginal and keeping LOW POWER and trying to
keep my neighbors happy.

With AIM4170 antenna analyzer, HF2V's 33' radiator element (1/16 wl)
presents 2Ohms resistance.   As whole, was Z: 62.2Ohms with 20 x 15 ~ 40'
ground radial wires alone.   Adding the ground screen, and 15 more radial
wires (total 1,500' of copper wires), the antenna impedance is improved to
Z: 39.6Ohms.

V.S.W.R.     Z (rad+gnd)

-------------- ----------------------

Freq   before   after   33'radiator(wl)   Z(rad) before(eff)   after(eff)

1.827   1.25   1.28   0.0625 (1/16)   2   62.2 ( 3.2%)   39.6 ( 5.1%)

Possible next plan is to add 4 more 65' ground wires off the ground (fixed
onto the wood fence 1 ~ 2' above ground).   Hoping to obtain at least 10~15%
efficiency, hi.

My question is still --- adding non-tuned ground radial off the ground
(counterpoise now ?) can still help improving my Butternut on 160, or
negative effect can be expected to the non-quarter wave non-tuned
counterpoise, and should not be mixed with on/in ground systems.

Thanks for your advice.   73

NN5T Jon