[TowerTalk] Radial question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Mar 5 12:38:46 EST 2016

That advice comes from N6LF, but it is sort of reinforced by the much
earlier table of radial lengths from the ARRL Antenna Book. Loss in
radials is greatest where current is greatest, and that's near the base
of the antenna. Power loss is I squared R, and the greater the number of
radials, the smaller the current. So using more short radials is better
than a few longer ones, especially if they are on the ground. Also,
there's nothing magic about 67 ft -- it's still much shorter than a
quarter wave, which is in the range of 90-100 ft for a wire laying on/in
the ground.

73, Jim K9YC