[TowerTalk] 4 square for 80

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Mar 9 22:03:02 EST 2016

On Wed,3/9/2016 5:56 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> First, any thoughts as how the terrain where the antennas are located will
> affect operation?  Also, any thoughts on how the big slope from the antenna
> location to the ocean will affect the signal.  On HFTA it is a big help on 80
> with dipoles etc.  but I'm not sure how it will affect a vertical system.

N6BT gave a very interesting talk at Pacificon last fall (2015)) that
addressed something like this. He set up verticals (memory fails, I
think it was 20M) at three locations on a plateau with drop-offs on all
sides. At the edge of the plateau facing SA, he worked SA and no JA. At
the edge facing JA, he worked JA and no SA. In the center of the
plateau, he worked neither. He used a drone to measure the vertical
pattern and found the field strength increasing a bit below zero degrees
elevation.

It's worth looking for his slides or having a chat at Visalia. He's
usually there. I just tried to find slides on the internet without success.

73, Jim K9YC