[TowerTalk] "Magic" length from tower to first insulator

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 16 13:49:45 EDT 2016

On 3/16/16 9:01 AM, Larry Loen wrote:
> Thanks, Jim.  A little too much "magic" in your formula, though.  I'm
> trying to understand this as well as "cook-book" it.
>
> So, I did the "obvious" thing and constructed my own table based on
> multiples of 1/2 wavelength.  Took the classic 468 and divided it by the
> upper and lower bounds of each frequency band.

That's my 3.28 * 299.7/f -> feet/meter * meters/sec / freq
to compute the free space wavelength in feet. (a  half wavelength would
be 491/f)
( I used that rather than the "resonant dipole" formula of 468, which is
about 5% lower, figuring that later, I'd be comparing with a 10%
tolerance anyway)

  Then I "deducted" 10 per
> cent from the shorter length (higher frequency) and "added" 10 per cent
> to the longer length (higher frequency).

  So, for each frequency,
> multiple of 1/2 wavelength, I calculate an upper and lower bound
> (distinances in-between are also on the "bad idea" list).

That works.. I figured I'd put band centers, or upper and lower in the
list and look.

I just take the guy length and divide it by the wavelength: so a 1/2
wavelength winds up as 0.5, a 3/2 wavelength is 1.5, etc.

if you take x-floor(x) that just removes everything to the left of the
decimal point, so you get numbers between 0-1.
I then compare against 0.45 to 0.55 (which is 10%)