[TowerTalk] "Magic" length from tower to first insulator

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Mar 16 17:11:29 EDT 2016

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:39:01 -0700
From: Larry Loen <lwloen at gmail.com>
To: jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net>
Cc: TowerTalk <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Magic" length from tower to first insulator

I could imaginably insulate my guys from the tower sections, because I am
using the Rohn brackets to attach them.  I would have to find some suitable
material before the tower went up, but I have time for that if I know what
to select (would want it to be UV resistant if possible, though the bracket
itself will give some sun protection).

I _think_ this helps or at least simplifies the analysis, because it should
take the tower sections themselves out of the picture.  If I understand the
discussion, it would also mean that it restores the tacit assumptions of
the original ARRL paper (albeit without Mr. London's sophisticated
modelling and analysis).

I also wonder if the second set of guys are grounded (which I intend to do
anyway), makes a difference in how the secondary lengths resonate?

WO7R

##  Avoid  grounded  1/4 waves..... OR  floating 1/2 waves.
Put an insulator on each end of the top guy wire..and your
10 ft guy line is now a floating half  wave..and  resonates on
46.8 mhz.   Remove egg at tower end ..and its now a grounded
1/4 wave... and resonates on  23.4  mhz.

Jim  VE7RF