[TowerTalk] "Magic" length from tower to first insulator

Mike Ryan mryan001 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 23:56:01 EDT 2016

I have read a few of the responses to this 'magic length' question but
recall something I found in an older ARRL Antenna Book.  I lived in the D.C.
area unit 1998. West of D.C. in Manassas, Va I bought a home with just over
5.5 acres and had my little antenna farm with 5 towers there where I lived
for 9 years. The antenna book came in to play when I was trying to decide on
the NON-resonant lengths that I could use to be safe when I was erecting the
towers.  First of all I had torque bars on all of my towers. Just off the
torque bars within the first few feet was my first insulator. The towers
each had 5 sets of guys and only the lowest set did not have an insulator
virtually right off the tower. I think at the time the lengths beyond that
were 39ft 6" to the next insulator.  Don't ask me why I remember that but it
just sticks in my head that that length was safe and non-resonant.
Otherwise, look in an Antenna Handbook..perhaps an older copy. The answer is
sure to be there.  - '73, Mike