[TowerTalk] Protecting Aluminum Antennas

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Mar 18 19:06:36 EDT 2016

Is there anything that will keep an antenna shiny and bright, besides
not putting it up?
I have often heard clear Krylon mentioned, but from my experience, it is
very short lived.  Three coats, allowed to dry between coats only lasted
a few months if that.
Around here (central MI) the shiny Al turns to a dull finish in a month
or two.

Alodyne does last and looks good, if you like a shiny gold color and
have both time and ambition.  I have used Alodyne on aircraft elevator
hinges.  It's a very labor intensive (tedious) process. The antenna
would certainly stand out.

Roger (K8RI)

---