[TowerTalk] Topband: Handheld Impedance Analyzer

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Tue Mar 29 08:22:34 EDT 2016

Hi RIck,

Indeed it is quite true – with yagis depending on the type of design be it OWA vs < 50 ohm with transformation the point where X=0 and minimum SWR can vary and can actually be multiple points! I’m re-tuning an M2 6 element 15 yagi for performance – placing it where I want it to be by measuring on a test range (and finding the stock dimensions to be quite high in the band) ... after some modeling I found a set of dimensions that gives a double dip in SWR making the antenna SWR flatter over the whole band. The R and X form opposite U curves, actually the X is more like a stretched out N so there are 3 points where X=0! Both in the model and measured using a SARK 110. Granted I’ll have to give you that 2 of those X=0 points are close to the two lowest SWR points – but the ‘middle’ one not so much.

Gary
K9RX