[TowerTalk] Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

Chuck Dietz w5prchuck at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:20:40 EDT 2016

This was on Eham.net:

In addition to windload and torque ratings, Yaesu also offers a
specification called "K-factor," which is derrived by multiplying the
turning radius of the antenna (in feet) by the weight of the antenna (in
pounds). Add the K-factor of each antenna on the mast together for your
total system K-factor. The resulting number (in foot-pounds) must be less
than the K-factor rating for the rotator.

For example, the Hygain TH-11DXS has a 12.5 square foot windload. The Yaesu
G-800DXA rotator will handle up to 21.5 square feet. But, when you multiply
the antenna's turning radius, which is 22 feet, by the weight of the
antenna, you get a K-factor of 1,936 foot-pounds. So, although the windload
rating of the rotator would seem to indicate that it will handle the
antenna, the K-factor of the antenna is greater than what the rotator will
handle (1,302 foot-pounds). If we look at the K-factor rating of the Yaesu
G-1000DXA, we see that it is 1,663 foot-pounds, so it's not even the
correct choice. At this point we would need to use a G-2800SDX, which will
handle a K-factor of up to 6,870 foot-pounds, which is obviously much
sturdier than what we really need.

I still don't think this tells the whole story because it is the inertia
that is the problem.  (The weight at a distance from the mounting point)
The formula assumes the weight is evenly distributed over the boom length.
I had a light (relatively) 4 element triband quad on a 30 foot boom.  I
could not move the mounting point so I put a weight on one end to balance
it.  It stripped the teeth out of several rotors...

Chuck W5PR