[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed May 4 14:30:02 EDT 2016

Which reminds me of the rope dampers in my prior TH7DX.  Apparently, the
elements w/o traps were falling off due to coupling of element
mechanical resonances.   HyGain/Telex came up with a clever fix by
putting a 2 ft length of polypro rope into the tips of those elements to
dampen the vibrations.  A nasty property of aluminum is that it has no
fatigue limit like steel.  If a certain stress level is not exceeded,
steel won't fail in fatigue.  There is no such threshold in aluminum.  A
small stress over many cycles and aluminum will fatigue fracture.

Grant KZ1W