[TowerTalk] Pulling LMR-600 in Conduit

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu May 5 12:32:03 EDT 2016

I have 2 runs of LMR600 from the house to the tower and 2 runs from the
shop to the tower. A total of 4 runs through PVC conduit
The last photo on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm
shows the LMR600 from the shop into the junction box on the tower.  I
used a lot of wire pulling lube/soap. I use sweep 45s instead of 90s.

Yes, LMR600 is much more rigid than BuryFlex, but it pulls through 3"
PVC conduit if there are no sharp bends. Use sweep 45s instead of 90s.
LMR600 is more rigid than LMR400.  There is an Ultra Flex version of LMR
400 and 600,  The LMR400UF is notably more flexible than BuryFlex(TM),
BUT the jacket is a rubber like material that does not stand up well
when exposed to the elements.  It has a quoted life of 10 years, or half
that of standard LMR400 and 600s 20 years.  I've found the UF versions
failed after only 5 or 6 years as rotator loops.  I had 5 lengths of
LMR400UF used as rotator loops and leads from the top of the tower to
the antennas. The jacket on 4 of those actually split while the 5th
"looked" to be OK so I decided to make jumpers for the station.  When
installing connectors, I found the Al shield and braid to be badly
corroded.  The jacket had become porous and I was seeing water damage.
The jacket on the regular LMR 400 and 600 is tough, but not so for the
UF versions.

I used LMR600UF in the conduit to the house to see how well it stands up
inside of conduit protected from the elements.

73

Roger (K8RI)