[TowerTalk] Right Angle Connectors

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 8 09:08:53 EDT 2016

On 5/8/16 2:52 AM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
> Roger,
>
> Now thats interesting, I see what you are seeing Roger.  it shows on the
> drawing that the
> insulator is LCP and in the revision notes, the last revision states
> that the LCP insulation material
> was incorrectly called PTFE and was changed to LCP.   I found this
> definition online:
>
> *LCP* (liquid crystal polymer) - very stable, inert, and unreactive
> dielectric material used in electrical connectors.
>
> The Amphenol connector specifications state that the insulation is PTFE
> Any chemists on board ?  Perhaps LCP is a general name for thermoplastic
> and PTFE is one type of LCP.

Examples of LCP are aramids like Vectran and Kevlar.  It's a
thermoplastic (it melts, unlike thermosetting plastics like phenolic)
and apparently is used for injection molding intricate parts.

It shows up in tiny surface mount RF connectors (like the ones inside
your cellphone)

some kinds are apparently better than polyimide for microwave PCBs
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4339140&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D4339140