[TowerTalk] PL 259 Connectors

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue May 10 13:00:04 EDT 2016

On Tue,5/10/2016 3:41 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> I concur with Jim on the Amphenol 83-1SP connector, with the exception of
> Heliax connectors, it is the only PL-259 in use at my station.

Same here. You'll get exactly that advice from W3LPL, who I consider an
authority.  For the few places where I need N-connectors, I use a
wonderful connector from Andros Mfg. I've also learned that they have
recently added a PL-259 to their catalog. Haven't seen any yet.

>   Recently I bought an American Beauty soldering iron and it makes soldering PL-259 connectors a breeze. I wish that I had bought one decades ago.

Yes, a good temp controlled iron with a fairly large tip makes the job
go a lot more smoothly. I use the Hakko I bought about 12 years ago to
work with Elecraft kits. It accepts different sizes of tips. Also a good
bench vise to hold the work. At least 40 years ago (so long ago that I
don't remember buying it), I found a heavy beast of a bench vise that
works great.

73, Jim K9YC